Thursday, July 20, 2017

Thou art

Song of Solomon: timeless love poetry in contemporary calligraphy.

Detail from "O my Dove"
This design, shown below, plays a visual pun on the headline.  I've always thought that a furled lily looked like a sleeping dove, and here was the chance to use it in both roles.  



About translation:        Many people consider the 1612 King James Version their authority for poetic scripture.  Others enjoy reading more contemporary interpretations such as the Revised Standard Version from 1948.   The texts that I have consulted for my calligraphy series actually range from as long ago as the 1382 Wycliffe Bible and as recent as the 1996 Bloch translation. 


This passage started out so eloquently-- "O my dove, that art in the cleft of the rock"--that changing the verb to either "are" or "is" seemed clunky.  To sustain this lyrical mood, I chose to keep the archaic "thy" rather than use the more prosaic "your."  When you can't decide such questions, read the words aloud; then listen to what your inner ear tells you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment